Sunday 16 June 2013

Weaning Little Bubba

I was very lucky when I weaned Poppy onto solids.  It was an easy process and fun for both of us.  Like a true sucker for routines I followed Annabel Karmel to the T and it worked. (Except baby rice - seriously there was no way I was giving that!)

Of course I'm no saint and there were times when Poppy kicked off and decided there was no way she was going eat the slop on her spoon, but I truly believe it worked so well because I waited until she was ready and not because I wanted her to wean.  I've watched other mums pretty much forcing the spoon in their babies mouth when the baby is clearly not interested or struggling - leaving the poor mum in despair.  

So trying where possible to avoid this, at four months I decided to try three pieces of fruit with her over three days, she ate it all but I could tell she didn't understand what she was doing.  So I waited another month and started again.  Completely different and she gobbled it down, kicking her legs waiting for more.

Having weight problems of my own I was and am very keen for Poppy to have a head start to healthy eating.  Even now at 15 months she has only ever had home made healthy food with milk or water.  (Unless my husband is slipping some weekend treats in whilst I am away!)  To most parents this is very normal, but I've been very surprised how many mums I've met don't follow this (healthy cooking not the sneaky treats!).  I'm aware this probably makes me sound like one of those annoying mums I can't stand who think they are superior and high almighty about their parenting skills, which honestly I'd like to think I'm not.  I'm just very fussy about my child eats.

I thank my lucky stars that Poppy is a very good eater and generally quite clean. She wasn't the type of babe that liked waste so I didn't experience the food throwing on the floor, flying onto walls or even down herself.  I'm also not stupid and aware that things change.  But so far so good!

Me: Learning to cope with mess = Poppy: Loving it!


No comments:

Post a Comment