Tuesday 30 April 2013

The First Birthday Party

Like most one year olds, my daughter Poppy is into everything and anything, so if I was going to do a theme I wanted it to be amazing!  Keeping it simple I decided to go for a 'Poppy' theme, something that she (let's face it I mean me) can look back on and smile. My daughter was born at a very similar time to other babies from the friends I made locally.  So we decided to have three birthday parties spread over a few weeks.  (Yes I did type three and this won't be happening every year I can assure you!)  This party was for our adult friends and a good excuse to have a glass of wine (or bottle in my case).  Maternity leave gave me the time to prepare and create the poppy decorations.  It also left me explaining to confused guests why decorations were up a month ahead of the party.  All my decorations were home-made using either red and black paper, balloons and a lot of glue!


Poppy Bunting

 









Paper Poppy




















Number One Letters














Continuing with the theme, comes the food, again all home made (get me!) and where possible Poppy related.  My husband and I were up late the night before making the birthday cake.  Maybe not the most professional looking cake but I was so chuffed we made it for her, best cake we have made anyway.   My lovely friend Adele who definitely is a professional made us some beautiful Poppy cupcakes which tasted amazing too.

The Birthday Cake



  









Poppy Cupcakes











Poppy biscuits












Other fun decorations I made included a 'Year of Photographs' one of each month and hung like bunting, party bags and facts about Poppy and her first year in the shape of a number one which we framed in red and black obviously.

Poppy Party Bag













A Year of Facts













Monthly Photo Bunting














To top the theme, the little lady clearly needed a dress to impress her guests, born in Spring made it easier to find a Poppy dress and at the bargain price of £8 from Matalan... SOLD!  Completely biased I know but my god she takes my breath away when she wears it and lets face it, I will be lucky if she gets two months out of it.

Star of the Show

No comments:

Post a Comment